I received this recipe from my mother, who lives in an area known for its fine asparagus. You can assemble to casserole the night before and refrigerate. Just remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. —Bev Angelbrandt, Calgary, Alberta
- 3 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes; drain and set aside. In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour , salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese, lemon juice, peel and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- Spread about 3/4 cup sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a fourth of the sauce and a third of the asparagus and mozzarella. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles and sauce (dish will be full). Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Lasagna in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p154
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Asparagus Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review