- 3 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes; drain and set aside. In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour , salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese, lemon juice, peel and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- Spread about 3/4 cup sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a fourth of the sauce and a third of the asparagus and mozzarella. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles and sauce (dish will be full). Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Asparagus Lasagna
"I have made this many times exactly as listed and get raves. It can be customized with ham ribbons, peas or fresh blue crab meat (my fav). Don't leave out the lemon, it's the key to the dish!"