Asparagus in Puff Pastry Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 24 fresh asparagus spears (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain asparagus and immediately place in ice water; drain and pat dry. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and salt until smooth; set aside.
- 2. Unfold the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet in half widthwise. For each rectangle, spread cream cheese mixture lengthwise over half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Arrange two rows of three asparagus spears lengthwise in a single layer over cream cheese.
- 3. Brush edges of dough with some of the egg substitute; fold dough over filling and press edges together to seal. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 4. Cut widthwise into 1-1/4-in. pieces. Place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining egg substitute. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Yield: 28 servings.
One serving (2 pieces) equals 87 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.