Asparagus Ham Swirls
I came across the recipe for this hot appetizer years ago and have made it many tomes to share with friends and co-workers. Asparagus, ham and cheese combine into a fun finger food. —Nancy Ingersol, Midlothian, Illinois
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 16 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 16 slices process Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- In a large skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until
- crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain well. Spread about 1 teaspoon
- of mustard on each ham slice. Top with one slice of cheese.
- Place an asparagus spear at one end (trim to fit if needed). Roll up
- each ham slice tightly; secure with three toothpicks. Dip ham rolls
- in egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry rolls, a
- few at a time, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper
- towels; keep warm.
- Cut each roll between the toothpicks into three pieces. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 144 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium,