I came across the recipe for this hot appetizer years ago and have made it many tomes to share with friends and co-workers. Asparagus, ham and cheese combine into a fun finger food. —Nancy Ingersol, Midlothian, Illinois
- 16 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 16 slices process Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- In a large skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain well. Spread about 1 teaspoon of mustard on each ham slice. Top with one slice of cheese.
- Place an asparagus spear at one end (trim to fit if needed). Roll up each ham slice tightly; secure with three toothpicks. Dip ham rolls in egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Cut each roll between the toothpicks into three pieces. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Asparagus Ham Swirls in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p29
Reviews for Asparagus Ham Swirls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review