- 16 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 16 slices process Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- In a large skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain well. Spread about 1 teaspoon of mustard on each ham slice. Top with one slice of cheese.
- Place an asparagus spear at one end (trim to fit if needed). Roll up each ham slice tightly; secure with three toothpicks. Dip ham rolls in egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Cut each roll between the toothpicks into three pieces. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Asparagus Ham Swirls
Sort By :
I have made something similar for years. Instead of bread crumbs, I cut the crust from sixteen slices of loaf bread (your choice, white, whole wheat, etc). Spread the mustard (dijon) on bread, slice of ham and asparagus. Roll up and saute in butter. Delicious!!!
Rather than cutting these into thirds, I leave them whole for a nice lunch entrée.