Asparagus Ham Strata
You can easily prepare this the night before for a luncheon or during the morning for a dinner. I serve it year-round, for large groups like my card club or garden club, at picnics and at other occasions. When I do, just about always someone requests the recipe!
My husband and I have been married 49 years (two sons and five grand daughters). I've enjoyed cooking since I was a girl. My mother w
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 12 slices white bread
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), diced
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Using a doughnut cutter, cut 12 circles and holes from bread; set
- aside. Tear remaining bread in pieces and place in a greased 13-in.
- x 9-in. baking dish.
- Layer with cheese, asparagus and ham; arrange bread circles and holes
- on top. Lightly beat eggs with milk. Add onion, salt and mustard;
- mix well. Pour egg mixture over bread circles and holes. Cover and
- refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 55 minutes or until top is light
- golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.