Asparagus Ham Strata Recipe
You can easily prepare this the night before for a luncheon or during the morning for a dinner. I serve it year-round, for large groups like my card club or garden club, at picnics and at other occasions. When I do, just about always someone requests the recipe! My husband and I have been married 49 years (two sons and five grand daughters). I've enjoyed cooking since I was a girl. My mother was an excellent cook, and she passed along many of the Pennsylvania Dutch recipes that are popular in this part or our state.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + standing YIELD:6-8 servings
- 12 slices white bread
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), diced
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. Using a doughnut cutter, cut 12 circles and holes from bread; set aside. Tear remaining bread in pieces and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. Layer with cheese, asparagus and ham; arrange bread circles and holes on top. Lightly beat eggs with milk. Add onion, salt and mustard; mix well. Pour egg mixture over bread circles and holes. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 55 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC