Asparagus Ham Rolls
I love this delicious recipe because it includes three of my favorite locally produced foods—ham, asparagus and cheese. Prepared with leftover Easter ham and fresh asparagus, these rolls make an excellent springtime meal.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 24 fresh or frozen asparagus spears
- 8 thin slices fully cooked ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually
- stir in the milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened.
- Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Place three
- asparagus spears on each ham slice. Roll up; secure with toothpicks
- if necessary.
- Place in 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with cheese sauce. Sprinkle
- with crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and skim milk) equals 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch; also, 125 calories, 492 mg sodium, 19 mg cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 7 gm fat.