Asparagus Ham Rolls Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 24 fresh or frozen asparagus spears
- 8 thin slices fully cooked ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Place three asparagus spears on each ham slice. Roll up; secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- 3. Place in 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine and skim milk) equals 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch; also, 125 calories, 492 mg sodium, 19 mg cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 7 gm fat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer