Asparagus Ham Dinner
I've been making this low-fat meal for my family for years now, and it's always well received. With asparagus, tomato, pasta and chunks of ham, it's a tempting blend of tastes and textures. Rhonda Zavodny of David City, Nebraska
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes (about 6 medium)
- 6 ounces boneless fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- nonstick skillet, saute asparagus and yellow pepper in oil until
- tender. Add tomatoes and ham; heat through.
- Drain pasta; add to the vegetable mixture. Stir in seasonings.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 198 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 559 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat,