- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- MUSHROOM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a blender, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water; drain and pat dry.
- On each crepe, layer a ham slice, Swiss cheese slice and three asparagus spears. Roll up and place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and bouillon. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in the cream, mushrooms and chives. Pour over crepes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 crepes.
Reviews for Asparagus Ham Crepes
"Wonderful! Used left-over ham, chopped up, and chopped the asparagus as well."
"These were delicious for a Sunday brunch. I doubled the recipe for the batter and I'm glad I did because it always takes me a while to get the crepes right and the first several end up in the garbage disposal. The only other change was to leave out the mushrooms because I don't like them. Definitely a keeper!"
"I made this yesterday for family and it was a big hit. Even my 12 year old said it was better than he thought it was going to be (he loves crepes w/ strawberries & whipped cream)!! Thanks to the previous review, I used a slightly differenct crepe recipe which tripled the number crepes and I'm glad I did!! Other than that, a great mix of flavors and textures. Really delicious! Thank you, TOH."
"What better way to start the Valentine weekend with my sweety.... Asparagus Ham Crepes! (I also just added a side cup of Yogurt with Granola and Fruit.)The crepes were absolutely delicious! Definitely a keeper recipe... and would be impressive for over night guest! However... I only got about 4 crepes out of the batter, so you may want to double the recipe for those. Next time I may make them the night before also, then when ready put them in the oven and make the sauce. There was PLENTY of sauce with this recipe."