Asparagus Ham Crepes Recipe
Sue Erickson of Loveland, Colorado recommends these tender crepes with flavorful filling for a Sunday brunch. They’re so pretty, too!
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- MUSHROOM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1. In a blender, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- 3. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water; drain and pat dry.
- 4. On each crepe, layer a ham slice, Swiss cheese slice and three asparagus spears. Roll up and place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- 5. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and bouillon. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in the cream, mushrooms and chives. Pour over crepes.
- 6. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 crepes.
1 serving (1 each) equals 343 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 1,366 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC