Asparagus Ham Bundles Recipe
"A neighbor who grew his own asparagus gave me this recipe - along with much of his bounty - many years ago," reports Barb Kopf, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. "The fun little bundles are perfect for lunch or a spring brunch."
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 8 slices fully cooked ham (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 24 fresh asparagus spears, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Swiss cheese until melted.
- 2. Combine 1 cup of cheese mixture with rice. Spread about 1/4 cup on the bottom third of each ham slice. Top with three asparagus spears; roll up. Place with seam side down in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Pour remaining cheese mixture over the bundles. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 480 calories, 24 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,243 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC