Asparagus Ham & Cheese Rolls Recipe
Chock-full of fresh flavor, these scrumptious snacks are perfect to pack for a picnic or ball game. When I'm pressed for time, I prepare the dough for the flaky golden rolls in my bread machine. —Amy Davis of Folsom, New Mexico
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 block (4 ounces) cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add one egg white and egg; beating until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, place 1/2 in. of water and asparagus in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Drain.
- 5. Divide dough into 24 pieces; roll each piece into a 5-in. circle. Place a few pieces of asparagus, a cheese cube and a tablespoon of ham in the center of each circle. Wrap dough around filling, pinching seams to seal. Place rolls, seam side down, 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Beat remaining egg white; brush over rolls. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
One roll equals 129 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC