Asparagus Ham & Cheese Rolls Recipe
- 3 to 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 block (4 ounces) cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add one egg white and egg; beating until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 1/2 in. of water and asparagus in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Drain.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces; roll each piece into a 5-in. circle. Place a few pieces of asparagus, a cheese cube and a tablespoon of ham in the center of each circle. Wrap dough around filling, pinching seams to seal. Place rolls, seam side down, 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg white; brush over rolls. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Asparagus Ham & Cheese Rolls(4)
Sort By :
I have to say, 20 minutes + rising is quite an optimistic estimate of the time it takes to make this recipe. Anyway, this is pretty much a hot pocket from scratch. My husband and I liked them pretty well. My small children weren't too crazy about them and finished them only with the promise of dessert. Considering this, plus the amount of time they take, I will not be making them often.
Everyone enjoyed it for a change of pace. Will make again using different fillings
This is one of my favorite recipes. These rolls are a great springtime treat and are really delicious. I haven't tried them with other fillings yet, but I'm sure they'll taste great.
I made this recipe using the original ingredients and it was wonderful. Then I substituted other filling ingredients that were equally tasty. My kids especially loved them filled with pepperoni and mozarella cheese. My husband enjoyed the ham and cheddar rolls. You can be creative with this recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >