- 1 pound fresh asparagus trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- Assorted raw vegetables and tortilla chips
- Place 1/2 in. of water and asparagus in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain;
- Place asparagus in a blender. Add onion and garlic; cover and process until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, cilantro, chili powder and hot pepper sauce. Stir in the asparagus mixture until blended. Serve with vegetables and chips. Refrigerate leftovers; stir before serving. Yield: 2 cups.
Originally published as Asparagus Guacamole in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p39
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Asparagus Guacamole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 29, 2010
"This is very very good! My boyfriend and I decided that this was the best guacamole we have ever had!Here is a tip to reduce the amount of calories in this already low-cal recipe:We did change the recipe a little.We used about 4 tbspns of FAGE non-fat Greek yogurt instead of the mayo, and used an entire medium tomato instead of 1/3 cup.With these changes we calculated that the calories for the entire 2 cup mixture is about 192 calories. This means that the total calorie count was 60 calories less with these changes.These changes cause each 1/3 cup serving size 32 calories, making the recipe 10 calories less per serving!Yummmmm, guilt-free eating!We will definitely make this again!!!!"