To trim down traditional guacamole, I experimented with asparagus instead. My husband and our three hungry sons say this chunky low-fat version is as tasty as the original. I love the guilt-free dipping. —Judi Hammer of Litilz, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound fresh asparagus trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- Assorted raw vegetables and tortilla chips
- Place 1/2 in. of water and asparagus in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain;
- Place asparagus in a blender. Add onion and garlic; cover and process until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, cilantro, chili powder and hot pepper sauce. Stir in the asparagus mixture until blended. Serve with vegetables and chips. Refrigerate leftovers; stir before serving. Yield: 2 cups.
Originally published as Asparagus Guacamole in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p39
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Asparagus Guacamole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review