Asparagus Frittata Recipe
- 2/3 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 5 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Drain asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk egg substitute, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- 3. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in asparagus and parsley. Pour in egg mixture. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until eggs are nearly set. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Broil 5-6 in. from heat 2-3 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cut into quarters. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece equals 146 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 533 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.