Asparagus Fish Bake Recipe
- 6 medium fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound cod, haddock or orange roughy fillets
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines (about 7 crackers)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1. Place the asparagus in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain and place in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with fish; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over fish.
- 3. Melt remaining butter; stir in crackers and parsley. Sprinkle over cheese sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat butter, fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheese) equals 325 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.