Asparagus is in season, so celebrate with this satisfying meatless dish from Genise Krause of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. The tender spears pair beautifully with the creamy white sauce, which is tossed with fettuccine right in the skillet.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- large skillet, saute the asparagus, onion and garlic in butter until
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5
- minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is blended. Drain
- fettuccine; toss with asparagus mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups (prepared with 2% milk) equals 396 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 388 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.