Asparagus Eggs Benedict
This is a favorite springtime Sunday brunch item at our house. If I'm not in a time crunch, I will make a hollandaise sauce from scratch.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 envelope hollandaise sauce mix
- 6 eggs
- 3 English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket. Place in a large saucepan over 1
- in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or
- until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Prepare hollandaise sauce according to package directions. Meanwhile,
- in a large skillet, bring 2-3 in. water to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or
- saucer. Holding the dish close to the surface of the water, slip the
- eggs, one at a time, into the water.
- Cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until the whites are completely
- set and the yolks begin to thicken. With a slotted spoon, lift each
- egg out of the water.
- To assemble, place 4 pieces of asparagus on each muffin half; top
- with a poached egg; sprinkle with cheese. Top each with about 3
- tablespoons hollandaise sauce; garnish with paprika. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 6 servings.