- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1 cup, lightly packed)
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sour cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter 3-4 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress; cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan; stir in cream. Heat on low until cooked through (do not boil). Season with the salt, white pepper and cayenne. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Cress Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p65
Reviews for Asparagus Cress Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2009
"I doubled the recipe. Add more salt than called for to your liking."