Asparagus Cress Soup for 2 Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1/2 cup, lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt and peppers; heat through (do not boil). Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth; calculated without sour cream) equals 188 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Cress Soup for 2
"A family favorite. This has become a signature soup in our household. I'm requested to make this every year & make extras to freeze for later. We leave out the sour cream. No need for it really. White pepper is expensive and we don't use it for anything so that was left out too."
"WOW!!! This was way better than I could ever imagine! My hubby loved it too! Good thing I decided to double the recipe.Thanks so much for sharing! It's a keeper!!!"