Asparagus Cress Soup for 2 Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1/2 cup, lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt and peppers; heat through (do not boil). Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth; calculated without sour cream) equals 188 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.