This refreshing soup from Teresa Lillycrop of Puslinch, Ontario puts peppery watercress in the spotlight! Serve it with bread for lunch or as a first course to a special meal.
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1/2 cup, lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt and peppers; heat through (do not boil). Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Cress Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p56
Reviews for Asparagus Cress Soup for 2
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review