Asparagus Cress Soup Recipe
Here's a refreshing soup that combines two spring treatsasparagus and watercress. Serve it as the first course to a special meal with family or friends.
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1 cup, lightly packed)
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sour cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter 3-4 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress; cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan; stir in cream. Heat on low until cooked through (do not boil). Season with the salt, white pepper and cayenne. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Cress Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p65
Reviews for Asparagus Cress Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2009
I doubled the recipe. Add more salt than called for to your liking.