- 4 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Fill a small saucepan three-fourths full with water; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, onion, salt and pepper flakes. In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Pour in egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edge. As eggs set, push cooked portions toward the center, letting uncooked eggs flow underneath.
- When eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains, top one side with cream cheese and asparagus. Fold omelet in half. Reduce heat to low; let stand, covered, 1-2 minutes or until cream cheese is melted. Cut omelet in half before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Asparagus Cream Cheese Omelet
"This has awesome flavor!! Unfortunately I am horrible at making omelets so it became a scramble of sorts, but we still loved it. I was sad that there weren't any leftovers. I'll have to keep trying to perfect the omelet. I did roast my asparagus in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper instead of boiling it. I just prefer it this way. More flavorful in my opinion. I'll definitely make these again."
"Very good...I loved the addition of the sour cream to the eggs"
"Yum! I didn't have any sour cream on hand though, so I substituted heavy cream and it still came out great."
"I roasted my asparagus in the oven, because I was already cooking several things on my stove. This omelet was easy and tasty. I will remake this."
"This is my first year to be able to use my own asparagus. I was thrilled to find this recipe. It was easy, fast and delicious. I substitued onion powder and sprinkled that and the salt and pepper lightly over the egg mixture before beating. I didn't have a non-stick pan and instead used my cast iron griddle. I would cook the egg mixture at a medium heat next time so it wouldn't brown so much."