Asparagus Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1/2 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted cashews
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- 1. Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and egg white until smooth; add chicken and toss to coat. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 3. Place the remaining cornstarch in a small bowl; stir in the sherry or broth, soy sauce and sugar until smooth. Gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cashews, onions and asparagus. Serve over rice. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup chicken mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 478 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 42 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2-1/2 fat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer