Tender asparagus teams up nicely with chicken and cashews in a mild, pleasing sauce. “My husband and I have enjoyed this speedy dish on many occasions,“ says Deborah Haake of Cochrane, Wisconsin.
- 1/2 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted cashews
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and egg white until smooth; add chicken and toss to coat. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Place the remaining cornstarch in a small bowl; stir in the sherry or broth, soy sauce and sugar until smooth. Gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cashews, onions and asparagus. Serve over rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Chicken Stir-Fry in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p11
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Asparagus Chicken Stir-Fry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review