Asparagus Chicken Fricassee Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt if desired and paprika; set 2 tablespoons aside. Coat chicken with remaining flour mixture. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Combine 1-3/4 cups broth and dill; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the asparagus; cover and simmer for 8 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and asparagus is almost tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine remaining broth and reserved flour mixture until smooth. Remove chicken and keep warm. Stir flour mixture into asparagus mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. serve the chicken and sauce with noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared without salt and with reduced-sodium broth; calculated without noodles) equals 244 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.