Asparagus Chicken Chowder Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3-1/2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Place chicken, water and bouillon in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Cover and slowly bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove 1 cup broth and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute the carrots, onion and asparagus in drippings over medium heat until crisp-tender. Add to kettle along with the potatoes, salt, thyme and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into thin strips; add to soup along with cream and parsley. Heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with bacon just before serving. Yield: 16-18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 222 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Chicken Chowder
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.