Asparagus Cheese Triangles Recipe
“I came up with this take-off on Greek spanakopita (spinach pie) when I had an overabundance of asparagus and a package of phyllo dough,” says Colette Gerow of Raytown, Missouri. “Sometimes I add leftover chopped chicken and cut into larger triangles for meals.”
- 2 quarts water
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Galbani® Ricotta Cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 9 tablespoons butter, melted
- 30 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add asparagus. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately rinse with cold water; drain and pat dry. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, cheeses, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 2. Brush a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo sheets; trim short side to fit pan. Cover dough with plastic wrap and a damp cloth while assembling. Place two sheets of phyllo in pan; brush with butter. Repeat eight times. Spread with asparagus mixture. Layer with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into 24 pieces; cut each piece in half diagonally. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 60 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC