Asparagus Cheese Strata Main Dish Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread, crusts removed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a saucepan, cover asparagus with water; cover and cook until just tender but still firm. Drain and set aside. Lightly brush butter over one side of bread slices. Place half of the bread, buttered side up, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Layer with asparagus and ham. Cover with remaining bread, buttered side up. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, onion, salt and mustard; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece: 271 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein
Reviews for Asparagus Cheese Strata Main Dish
"I have a family brunch twice a year. I have been doing this for years. They picked this recipe as the one and only A-One pick! It is a winner"
"I made this for my husband using our duck eggs and asparagus from his garden.He really raved over it."