- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread, crusts removed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a saucepan, cover asparagus with water; cover and cook until just tender but still firm. Drain and set aside. Lightly brush butter over one side of bread slices. Place half of the bread, buttered side up, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Layer with asparagus and ham. Cover with remaining bread, buttered side up. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, onion, salt and mustard; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Cheese Strata Main Dish in Taste of Home April/May 1994, p33
Reviews for Asparagus Cheese Strata Main Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 21, 2014
"I have a family brunch twice a year. I have been doing this for years. They picked this recipe as the one and only A-One pick! It is a winner"
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2013
"I made this for my husband using our duck eggs and asparagus from his garden.He really raved over it."