Asparagus Cheese Soup
Thyme has a sweet, savory flavor that really enhances a variety of dishes, including this creamy soup.—Elizabeth Montgomery, Allston, MA
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces), cooked and drained or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus, thawed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Croutons and additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper
- until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for
- 2 minutes. Add asparagus and heat through. Add the cheese, thyme and
- nutmeg. Cook until cheese is melted, stirring frequently (do not
- boil). Garnish with croutons and additional cheese if desired.
- Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 343 calories, 24 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 994 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.