Asparagus Cashew Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup lightly salted cashews
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the asparagus, onions and red pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce and ginger until blended; gradually stir into the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat; add cashews and sesame oil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (about 2/3 cup asparagus mixture with 1 cup rice) equals 406 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 847 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1/2 lean meat.