Asparagus Bundt Cake Recipe
Shares Debbie Purdue from New London, Wisconsin, "I served this unusual dessert at a ladies' luncheon at church several years ago...and everyone had to have a taste of 'that green cake'. Nobody guessed the secret ingredient was asparagus!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:16-20 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups grated fresh asparagus (about 1 pound), drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add oil, eggs, asparagus, pineapple, orange peel and vanilla; mix well. Fold in pecans. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2. For icing, beat cream cheese and sugar in a small bowl until smooth. Add orange peel, vanilla and enough milk until icing reaches desired consistency. Spoon over cake, allowing icing to drip down sides. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 455 calories, 25 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC