Asparagus Brie Soup
"This rich soup is wonderful when fresh asparagus is in season," reports Melissa Petrek-Myer of Austin, Texas. "It's an elegant dish to serve company."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 to 6 ounces Brie, rind removed
- In a large saucepan, saute asparagus in butter until tender. Stir in
- flour until blended. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden
- brown. Gradually add broth, cream and wine or additional broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a blender; cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return
- to the pan. Cube Brie and add to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 5
- minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 567 calories, 53 g fat (33 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 1,171 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.