Asparagus Breakfast Strata Recipe
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed or 2 cups cut fresh asparagus, cooked
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 cups cubed reduced-calorie bread
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the milk, egg substitute, mustard and basil. Gently stir in remaining ingredients.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1/12 recipe equals 228 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.