"WE LIVE in "The Garden State', and our produce is top-notch in season. Spring is the time of year to enjoy asparagus, and I prepare it several times a week. This is one of my favorite ways to use asparagus."
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Dry bread crumbs
- Cook asparagus in boiling water until nearly tender; drain and set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat. Place half of the asparagus in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the white sauce, eggs, pimientos and cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Supreme in Reminisce Extra April 1995, p47
Reviews for Asparagus Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review