Asparagus Avocado Medley Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 8 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place asparagus and 2 tablespoons water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once; drain and cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, mushrooms, avocado, zucchini, tomato and onion; toss gently. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over salad and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 122 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.