Asparagus Appetizer Spread Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Assorted crackers
- 1. Cook asparagus in a small amount of water until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Cool.
- 2. Puree asparagus until smooth. Add 1 cup sour cream and the cream cheese; blend well.
- 3. In a saucepan, combine gelatin and reserved liquid; heat slowly until the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in the asparagus mixture, ham, chives, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 1-qt. round-bottom bowl. Cover and chill until set, about 6 hours.
- 4. Unmold onto a plate and spread with reserved sour cream. Garnish with additional chopped ham and cooked asparagus if desired. Serve with crackers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
2 tablespoon: 222 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, trace fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Asparagus Appetizer Spread
"I made half this recipe for Easter with family - very good and quite easy to make. I frosted the spread but didn't decorate it which would be fun for another time. Maybe a little more seasoned salt next time."
"I have been making this for more than 10 years and everytime I do I get requests for the recipe. I don't always dress it up as in the picture I just pour into a fancy bowl but this is an awesome recipe!!! The only change I have made is increasing the seasoned salt to 1 tsp.Try it!!!"