Asparagus and Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
I learned the fun of cooking as a child. I love to create as I cook— this recipe is a combination of several different asparagus dishes. It's also tasty with pieces of cooked duck added to the wild rice.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces and cooked
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, diced and cooked
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour and salt; stir to make a paste. Add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Cool 1 minute more. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream until smooth.
- 2. In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer wild rice, asparagus, sour cream mixture, cheese and bacon. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 247 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC