Asparagus and Tomato Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 8 to 16 lettuce leaves
- 2 to 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Combine the water and onion powder; bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender and bright green. Drain; cool to room temperature.
- 2. Place 1-2 lettuce leaves for serving on a large platter or individual salad plates. Halve the tomato slices and arrange on lettuce. Top with asparagus and avocado if desired. Combine all dressing ingredients; dollop on each salad. Yield: 8 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (reduced-fat sour cream and mayonnaise) equals 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 fat; also 96 calories, 134 mg sodium, 9 mg cholesterol, 9 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 6 gm fat.