Asparagus and Red Pepper Frittata Recipe
What tastier way to start a morning? This frittata is enriched with asparagus, potatoes, peppers, herbs and a wonderful blend of cheeses. Serve with a side of seasonal fruit. —Toni Donahue, Westerville, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1. Place asparagus on an ungreased baking sheet; drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-in. ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and press down lightly. Cook, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Drizzle with remaining oil; turn over.
- 3. Pour egg mixture over potatoes. Cover and cook for 9-11 minutes or until nearly set. Arrange asparagus and red pepper over top. Sprinkle with basil and pepper Jack cheese.
- 4. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge equals 371 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 370 mg cholesterol, 692 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC