Asparagus and Ham Casserole Recipe
I created this casserole one day while trying to find a good recipe for leftover ham. Instead of resorting to scalloped potatoes and ham, or ham and noodles, I tried asparagus. Everyone liked it so well, I've made it ever since.—Helen Ostronic, Omaha, Nebraska
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well.
- 2. In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine the asparagus, ham, rice, celery and lemon-pepper; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine soup and broth; add cheese. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted. Pour over ham mixture.
- 3. Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 268 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 1,113 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC