Asparagus 'n' Vinaigrette Recipe
"Living in the Midwest, we anticipate spring treats like fresh asparagus all winter long," affirms Mickey Kelly, Burnsville, Minnesota. "Our three small children can't help but snitch a taste when this dish is chilling in the fridge. I use the vinaigrette dressing on salads, sliced tomatoes and other steamed vegetables as well."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place asparagus in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover; steam for 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Immediately rinse in cold water. Place asparagus and green onions in a bowl.
- 2. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, teriyaki sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over asparagus mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Stir before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 74 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC