Asparagus, Chicken, Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
I found this recipe several years ago while looking for something unusual but simple I could prepare for company. I could prepare for company. It's a dish that I've served many times since then—with a salad and rolls, it makes a complete meal. My husband and I both grew up in the country. We're living in a suburb of a big city now, but we hope to move to a rural area. Meanwhile, two small children, home improvement projects, sewing and needlework keep me busy.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1. Spread rice in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Add the broth and mushrooms; dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Arrange chicken in center of dish; sprinkle with onion soup mix. Spoon mushroom soup over top.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Arrange asparagus around edges of dish. Melt remaining butter; brush over asparagus and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until asparagus is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC