- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 6 thick-sliced center cut bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pie pastry to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to an 11-in. tart pan and press into edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Prick pastry with a fork 5 or 6 times; line with a double thickness of foil. Fill with dried beans (or pie weights). Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove foil and beans (or weights); bake until light golden brown, 5 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- Trim tough ends from asparagus. Reserve 8 spears; cut remaining asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6-8 minutes; remove and drain. Add olive oil to skillet, then red onion, shallot and chopped asparagus; cook and stir until softened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Return bacon to pan; stir in tomatoes, parsley, lemon peel, salt and pepper. Spoon into pastry shell.
- Whisk eggs and cream; stir in cheddar cheese until blended. Pour over top. Arrange reserved asparagus spears in a spoke pattern with tips facing outward. Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus, Bacon & Shallot Tart in Taste of Home April/May 2017
Reviews for Asparagus, Bacon & Shallot Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review