Asian Vegetable Pasta
A little peanut butter and a sprinkling of peanuts give this side dish plenty of flavor. While red pepper flakes offer a little kick, brown sugar balances it out with a hint of sweet. —Mitzi Sentiff of Annapolis, Maryland
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 3/4 cup julienned carrots
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, bring the water to a boil. Add asparagus and pasta;
- cook for 3 minutes. Stir in carrots; cook for 1 minute or until
- pasta is tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, combine the peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce,
- brown sugar and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over medium heat,
- stirring constantly. Pour over pasta mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle
- with peanuts. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 358 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat,