- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup sliced bok choy
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Chive blossoms, optional
- In a large saucepan, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the water, broth, sherry, soy sauce, onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the mushrooms, carrots and bok choy; cover and simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- Divide rice among six soup bowls, 3/4 cup in each; top each with 1 cup of soup. Garnish with chive blossoms if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Asian Vegetable-Beef Soup
Sort By :
"I made this recipe and my wife, who is not a big Asian food fan, and I loved it. I did put in a little more water while it was simmering.Dr. Wayne G, Arizona"
"Very good. nice flavor. It disappeared quickly. It took a while to cook, but easy prep. now, what do I do with the rest of the bok choy?"
"This recipe has an excellent flavor! It's also quite filling with the rice. It's a keeper!!"
"Awesome asian flavor-my family loved it! Will make again!"