Asian Vegetable-Beef Soup Recipe
My husband is Korean-American, and I enjoy working Asian flavors into our menu. This tasty soup was something I put together one night with what I found in our fridge. Everyone loved it! —Mollie Lee, Eugene, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup sliced bok choy
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Chive blossoms, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the water, broth, sherry, soy sauce, onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Stir in the mushrooms, carrots and bok choy; cover and simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- 3. Divide rice among six soup bowls, 3/4 cup in each; top each with 1 cup of soup. Garnish with chive blossoms if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup soup with 3/4 cup rice equals 379 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC