Asian Turkey Patties Recipe
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Whisk in the broth, soy sauce and vinegar until smooth; set aside. In another bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, salt and garlic powder. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into five patties.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- 3. Add green pepper and celery. Stir reserved broth mixture; add to pan and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add tomatoes; simmer 6 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (calculated without rice) equals 260 calories, 1064 mg sodium, 134 mg cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 23 gm protein, 12 gm fat, 2 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch.